(Lies Beneath #1)
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Length: 303 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
There are so many reasons to love this book.
1. The fact that this book is so unDisney in its approach to Mer-lore.
Mers are allowed to be vengeful, predatory, calculating, manipulative, dark, and just a bit base.
2. This story is told from a male point of view. Merman...can you say YUM!
3. The mers in this book do not waste time trying to embrace their humanity or trying to
downplay their animal natures. They have a pride and dignity that calls out to be respected.
4. The story that surrounds Lily's father and grandfather and serves as the motivation for the happening of the book. The back story involving these men and promises made to Calder's mother
serves as the story within the story that stars Lily and Calder. The thing that makes these too stories so special is that don't get the ending to the first story until near the end of the second! Surprise!
5. The choice of love or family that Calder has to face and the ramifications of that choice.
Thank you Anne Greenwood Brown for a book with bite. These are not the mers that frolic with Sabastian and sing "Under the Sea". These are the mers of pirate nightmares, beautiful creatures who live in an emotional vacuum and feed on the warmth of the human soul.
Readers will be transfixed by the juxtapositions of Lily's landlocked struggle with her family and Calder's similar struggle with his in the water.
Add to this Calder's duty to the memory of his mother and his instinctual bond to his sisters; both of which he seems almost captive to and his desire for his freedom...great story right?
But there's more...
Lily...she is bait, food, love, his world?
What secrets does she hold?
Is love enough?
Read it NOW!
Before you go into the WATER....